Tomato and Spinach Pappardelle
8 oz. pappardelle
2 T extra virgin olive oil
2 c cherry tomatoes, cut in half
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 t crushed red pepper flakes
6 oz canned tomato paste
1 c water
1/2 t dried basil
1/2 t sugar
1/4 t salt
1 cup fresh spinach, packed
4 oz fresh mozzarella
freshly ground pepper for serving
1. Prepare pappardelle according to package.
2. Heat olive oil over medium heat in large skillet. Add cherry tomatoes and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Tomatoes should begin to burst.
3. Add garlic and red pepper flakes to tomatoes and saute for another minute.
4. Add tomato paste, water, basil, sugar and salt. Stir until well combined.
5. Cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Add the spinach and let wilt in sauce for a couple of minutes. Turn off heat.
7. Add prepared pappardelle to sauce and toss to coat.
8. Evenly plate 4 servings. Top each serving with a slice of fresh mozzarella and freshly ground pepper.
Makes 4 servings.